Wednesday 15 February 2012

Is this normal?

It's my third full day of being newly single, newly broken up, newly heartbroken, and I have been able to put myself into full on work mode. At lunch I found time to laugh, carrying on conversations without people worrying about being sensitive around me.

I visited my sister-in-law and we spoke about a lot of things. She said she thought I was doing better than what she expected, but knows that I am coping from day to day. My eyes got teary when she told me about how she made the announcement to my niece and nephew. She said she had news that was not very happy and my niece proceeded to cry upon hearing them. She couldn't stop and was upset because she would never be able to see him again. She wondered if my her daddy (my brother) would leave her mommy, and all I thought was, this was the reason I was not originally looking to get close to someone in the first place.

After I had ended my first real, serious, long-term relationship, I swore I would never allow myself to get into that position of having my family get close to another person. I didn't want to let someone into my secret and special place. It was devastatingly hard the first time around.

When I met him, he was on a road trip with friends. Out for a weekend in my hometown. It was a night that I was not supposed to be out, but for whatever reason, I found myself out with friends and we noticed each other immediately. He took my number and for the next year to two years we contacted each other casually via text, phone call, msn messaging, and emails.

It got to the point that I was ready to officially have him in my life, fully and completely. He knew me inside and out. Read my face without any words being spoken. He'd recognize my mood changes just by hearing me breath on the phone. I brought him into my family, I let him into my circle of friends.

On Sunday when I came home from meeting with him, I could not bear the thought of speaking to my family and letting them know. My parents were having a family dinner and I couldn't stand being there for very long. I quickly packed up my things and made my way to a friend's house. There they held me and I cried. There they fed me cookies to cheer me up and we laughed, though I know they were being extra loud to cheer me up.

I know I am not afraid to love someone else again. I just don't know if I can handle another person coming into my life and have the fear that they will be abandoning not just me, but rejecting my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment